Yeah, yeah, we've all heard the story about how grandma had to walk two miles in knee-deep snow each way to school and how mom actually had to use the library catalog and a typewriter to study, rather than Google "study notes for biology". Now, with the immediate access to the Internet and with the ease of technology, learning is just so much more efficient and convenient. But, with this ease comes many possible harms as well - is it possible that our culture is actually becoming less well-read and more well-fed when it comes to information? And, are we becoming socially inept in the process?
I am guilty of indulging in technology use, but I cannot help but wonder if our culture's over-connectivity when it comes to Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Email, and texting is actually causing us more harm than good. With such changes in communication methods, people seem to care more about being connected to the Internet or their cell phone, than being "connected" with individuals and building meaningful relationships. Sure, it is fun to be able to catch up with so many people with a small amount of effort, but as I always preach, I value "quality" over "quantity" - I think we can all identify with the pleasure we get from a surprise hand-written letter or card we get in the mail or a phone call from an old friend, versus the instant gratification we receive from having five new "friend invites" on Facebook - really, which feeling is more long lasting? I choose the former.
Besides technology hindering our modes of communication, it is also affecting the way we get information and how we go about filtering all the information we receive at a rapid rate. I love the ability to "Google" anything I want and have immediate results, but how can I filter through all the junk? I used to pick up a book if I wanted to read about the Civil Rights Movement, but now, why would I choose to cipher through pages and pages, when I could easily find the information in five minutes online. Yes, this method is so convenient and quick, but how, in the long run, is technology going to affect literacy? Are we reinforcing laziness and providing too much trust in sources lacking credibility?
As with anything, I suggest we use technology in moderation while being aware of the benefits AND the negative attributes - but, then again, can we really be aware if the possibilities have not even been created yet?
Click on the following link to read a great article from Fast Company Blog about the effects of technology on human connection and relationships: Article